A Pow-Wow is a Native American festival where nations from throughout the continent gather to a hosting nation’s land and share in celebration through singing and dancing. We take the opportunity to educate and provide entertainment to the public. Dancers and singers compete in multiple categories of different ages and dance styles. There are a number of food and craft vendors selling Native American cuisine and art.
The Pow-Wow is held at the Salem County Fairgrounds (735 Harding Hwy, Woodstown, NJ 08098), every second weekend of June (upcoming June 11th & 12th, 2022)
To Donate to the Pow-Wow and Programs, please click below….
41st Annual Pow-Wow: 2022 (June 11 & 12 2022)
More information regarding the upcoming Pow-Wow will be posted in the future…
If you would like to contribute to next year’s (2022) Pow-Wow book, please fill out the sheet and provide payment (you can print and send, or you may upload a digitally filled out copy below, and pay through PayPal link above)
MARK THE DATE!!!
Our Pow Wow celebrates the culture and socializing of American Indians. It is a “living event” and not a “reenactment.” Public Pow Wows invite non-American Indian people to learn and enjoy the celebration, while also respecting the culture.
The Pow-wow is located on Route 40, just west of Sharptown in Pilesgrove Township, about 3 miles west of Woodstown in Salem County, NJ, and about 8 miles east of the Delaware Memorial Bridge.
Directions from the Delaware Memorial Bridge:
From the Delaware Memorial Bridge, look for Route 40 East to Atlantic City. Take Route 40 about 8 miles East, and the Pow-wow will be on your left.
Directions from Route 55:
From Route 55, look for Route 40 West just North of Vineland. Take Route 40 West about 18 miles from Route 55, and the Pow-wow will be on your right. You will pass through Woodstown and Sharptown. The Cowtown rodeo grounds will be on your left before you reach the Pow-wow location on your right.
The Basics of Pow Wow Etiquette:
1. Dress and act appropriately. Immodest attire and profanity have no place at Pow Wows. Smoking near the Arena is considered disrespectful. Alcohol, recreational drugs and firearms are prohibited.
2. Respect the special seating reserved for dancers in regalia, elders and those with disabilities. Seats with blankets, shawls or regalia items on them are taken and should not be bothered. Unless you are sure spectator seating will be provided for the public, bring a chair.
3. Spectators should never enter the circle / dance arena until those times when all spectators are invited. Treat the arena as “holy ground.”
4. Respect Mother Earth…. Don’t Litter… Put trash in a trash can.
5. Listen to the Master of Ceremonies. He will announce who is to dance and when. He will also inform spectators of proper protocol. Some dances are open to the public.
6. Do not touch a drum or sit at a drum without permission. Ask permission from the Head singer.
7. The Powwow committee reserves the right to require tribal identification cards from competition dancers. No one is permitted to compete without registering.
8. The traditional outfits worn by American Indians are not “costumes;” they are “regalia.” Regalia is an expression of spirit, and has been prayed over and blessed. Honor it, the person wearing it, and the living history it represents. Do not touch anyone’s regalia without their permission.
9. Tribal Powwows are not an outlet for the non-American Indian spectators to “play Indian.” Spectators should NOT be dressed in regalia. This is not a costume party. It is a celebration that respects the ancestors and the ways of American Indian People.
10. Tape recording of the drums should be done only after asking the drum group. Video recording should be only for personal use, unless by previous arrangement with the staff.
11. At any given powwow, you will find a wide array of Indian arts, handmade crafts, and jewelry for sale. Some may not accept checks, so it is a good idea to have cash on hand. Please use care when handling merchandise, and please watch your children!
12. HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! MAKE NEW FRIENDS AND WONDERFUL MEMORIES!!!