Category Archives: Tribal Use Posts

For Tribal Use only

Pow-Wow Meeting, November 2019

11/16/2019

Lia opened the meeting and the first things we needed to talk about is that the purchase that was made for a computer which was donated by Pow Wow to live stream the meetings and language class. And the purchases for raffle also to mail the items people won and a rim for the drum was 458.00. $380.00 was taken in for the raffle itself.
Someone actually tried to say to that she had won at the senior luncheon but it was confirmed that they did not win it. The names were gone over and the names were given to the one who was saying that they had won. It is a hope that it is over. The report was sent off to the State by Linda. The names of the winners will be announced tonight. Thanks to Tony for the choker.
Linda said the to Tori the money from the Gaming Account would be given back to Pow Wow. We can use it for anything cultural or educational activities. It can be used for language class also anything to enhance the tribe.
Finalization of the theme for the new Pow Wow.  We should begin to do an annual theme for the powwows. Lia feels there should be 3 different shirts for Spring and then Gathering and then Pow wow. All that can be linked together.
Step 1 are we going to settle that we are called the next Theme to Seven Generations which would be for Pow wow. The Cultural Retention group would also be using this and must be verified that we would work together with this. There needs to be no conflict. We need to bring unity to these groups.
Next meeting would be to figure out shirts. Lia said if we can figure out who has the most for generations to bring them out and present them to everyone at the Powwow. Last year we did Reclaiming Our Spirit. 
We need to coordinate with the other committees.
We are now online thanks to Ty.  November plans for our staff. And Ty will handle the vendors as before and are we satisfied with the people we have Keith, AJ,Urie,Patricia and Emily as head dancers.  Our host drum is Wild Band and Ty should have their contact information.When it comes to food, we are still working on finding vendors besides the one we used last year. We are needing to hopefully have vendors who are Native.
The kitchen is kind of different because they serve American food and we offer the kitchen to tribe first. It is still being decided on who we get so that we have enough people to have food out there for us.
We made a motion to keep the same committee again for the new year Powwow. We need entertainment and we may try to get Superman if we can. We also may try to get Birds of Prey again. Aztec dancers again we need there. The falcon trainers now live in FL. And we may not be able to get them back to Pow wow. The wolves we would like to get back based on Gail’s request and Ty may have his contact to see if they can come out. Ivy showed Ty the wolves in Columbia, NJ and he took the information.Ty had a thought that at the end of one of the pavilions to make like a little Big House kind of set up to have artifacts set up and for people to see and donate towards it.  Gail said that when it comes to a presentation that a Cuff boy did this and had a TV out there and a video of our museum. One thought about feedback from others was there isn’t enough Lenape  presence.Gail said why we can get a table set up with drums and things and to see if someone can man that for the tribe.Lia spoke about some ideas like doing true Lenape dances and the Gourd society was mentioned. Linda thought is anyone is interested to set up and do demonstrations. And we could even ask to see if Uncle Mark can help with it like he does during presentations. We could have a sign done that says Lenape Exhibitors. And even have kids hand out flyers.
Linda talked about Crystal putting out flyers out for the parade. To hand out the car show flyers. And Linda will have them mad up for the parade. The decision is to made to have it set up to promote Car Show and Pow wow.
Crystal has an inquiry in regards to feeding the dancers. And BJ will help with the chicken and then the Sunday meal would need to be decided on. Crystal could pick the rolls on Saturday for those subs.So there will green beans and Mac & cheese. To be served.A decision to have it in a certain spot would be decided. Joe’s donated meat last year so they will be asked again. Native American club wants to do hamburgers and hotdogs. They just have to fill out the application and that will be headed up with Allie and Crystal.
The sooner ship has to be sent out and that needs to be done by the end of this month. But Ty sent some out via internet. And the rest will need to be sent out as soon as possible. Then there are minor sponsors that need to be taken care of.Golf carts information still needs to be taken care of also and that needs an update.Meeting closed 6:50pm

Cultural Retention Meeting, November 2019

11/16/2019

5:06pm opening and we start with Gathering and what was done with it. Things were fine.Charlene bought the 2 tea coolers for Gathering and that on Black Friday we will get at least one we can roll. Based on our budget we need to know how much we will spend to make the purchase.Lia said pizza to be purchased for the Christmas party. So the decision to get the pizza would most likely be either Big John’s or Carmelo’s. The things needed would be chips and pretzels, there will be the need for drinks, and cookies and Lia will get the cupcakes. The pricing for what need will be decided based on what is needed for toppings and it would be sheet pizzas. (EST. count per sheet is 32 pieces)
Activities will need to be chosen which can be the least messy. We made $182.00 dollars on the basket from Gathering which was great with the help of Ivy,Ms Eddy, Kim and Carmela.
Ivy has 3 paintings of which people can donate and then be able to put their names in for the paintings. And someone can present them to those in the senior luncheon in order to let everyone have the chance to try.The paintings will be presented tonight in order for people to be able to win them.
Linda can take tickets during work hours at the store from Thursday and Friday from 1-6pm and they will be presented every Tuesday and be put online.
New Business will be one next month’s meeting: We will do the White Elephant and the poinsettias with a our dessert and drinks. Linda may not be there so we will need someone to audition things off for the W.E.So we will need to tell people tonight to bring a wrapped gift for the event.Last year we did names for people to win the poinsettias and we will need X-mas cards.
We need to keep everyone posted as the time goes by so that every base was covered. We can start at 6:30pm the night of meeting in order to be able to socialize.
10 minutes of Christmas Carols for everyone to sing with Trinity Norwood.
Uncle Sonny spoke about the next Gathering being about the 7 generations and that we would behind us and ahead of us.  Ty asked would we like to merge it with Pow wow cause it is something that was thought of for us for Cultural Retention.
Charlene wants the shirts to be alike but different when it comes to both Pow wow and cultural retention.
A decision with Aunt Eddy, is on genealogy and the idea of getting forms to have people fill them out and go over their family lines.It may be cool to invite people like Bruce, Paul Johnson. Aunt Eddy brought up and the sign that is need of painting and Linda said we got a volunteer who will paint the sign which is over the awning. The need for paint and to possibly have light to it for people to see it.  What can be used is something that is solar powered so that we dont have to use electricity.The subject will be brought to council. The guy who is willing to do the painting is, Norman Cuff.
Meeting closed at 5:43pm

Finance Committee Meeting Nov 15, 2019

Finance/Strategic Planning Committee Meeting

Meeting Called to order by Gail Gould at 6:40.

In attendance: Gail Gould, Romaine Street, John Wilmore, & Tyrone Ellis

Committee discussed the potential rehabilitation of 18 E Commerce St based off of estimate submitted on January 22, 2015. Including the idea of fixing it to rent it out. Tabled for now.

Discussed the electric bid. Discussed vaulted ceiling and how it will look. Discussed estimate for HVAC system’s change in price. Waiting on estimate from plumbing. Many contacted, but decline our offer to bid, as they don’t want to do new construction.

Floor plan revisions discussed. No toilet to be included, but still shown is a ‘cleaning room’ with a sink and changing table, with an adjacent mop sink closet. Plans preliminarily approved.

Open discussion for Office Manager. Romaine suggested that Gail not be apart of the writing of job description, as she is planning to apply. Gail agrees to remove herself from all parts of decision making for job description. Remaining members goes through needed additions and alterations of job description. Tyrone to type up pre-final draft and send to all other Committee members for review and comments before having Council Liason present to Council for final approval next meeting.

Meeting adjourned approx.. 7:30

Finance Committee Meeting Nov 2019

Finance/Strategic Planning Committee Meeting

11/7/19

The meeting was called to order at 6:56pm

Attendees : Gail Gould, Roberta Flores, Tyrone Ellis, Urie Ridgeway, John Wilmore

Building: Gail reported the electrician (Lee Pierce) put in a bid. We are still waiting to hear from Heating Specialties with an estimate. Brett will be the general contractor. We still need a licensed plumber to sign off on the work done. Eurie questioned using Harry May Plumbing.

Brett was in attendance and reported typically he is not a general contractor because he did not set a base estimate. He would be bidding in phases of the project so technically he is a subcontractor.

Gail reported we do not need to get 3 quotes since it is the tribes money being used.

Brett reported re: family bathroom regular bathroom would be $7200.00 vs a family bathroom costing $9600.00 and most smaller venues do not have a family bathroom. A vote was taken and all in agreement to go with a regular bathroom.

Urie questioned if the tribe would be pulling the permits. Brett stated if the tribe pulls their own permits then we would not need a licensed plumber. Gail will find out. Questioned if that is the case could Russel Fisher Jr. do the work.

Office Manager: A job description was approved by council , now the position needs to be posted. We can start by posting it on our own web page. All in agreement. The salary discussed was 40 – 45 thousand a year but it was questioned was that appropriate since there are no benefits. It was discussed that the person hired needs to held accountable, ie: must submit a minimum of 4 grants a quarter, attend council meeting to submit a progress report in writing

and give report and there would be a 30/60/90 day review. There would also have to be a grant included for economic development.

Economic Development: Paperwork submitted to Verizon for cell phone tower. Also, the location for the solar panels have been approved. For the apartment upstairs, it would cost approximately $20,000.00 to complete and make it able to be rented out.

Al egreed to meet again next week 11/14 at 6:30pm

Meeting adjourned.

Cultural Retention Meeting, August 2019

8.17.19

We will need 2 vans next time summer camp comes around. It will be for trips. All the ceremonial days when the kids do their things down at the arbor, should be there down at the for special things but the parents were concerned about the kids being down there too long..

It was a decision that needs to be decided for the kids to not get too over heated. 

Charlene is hoping to do anything that can be done here up at the pavilion should be done and then the kids can do just what needs to be done in the circle.  This is something to be mindful of and to think about for next year. 

A good choice would be to cover part of the arbor for the kids.

Pop-ups can be bought for shading for the kids down at the arbor.

Possible to check the weather and pick a different day for the kids to go to the arbor.

Mentor meeting to go over the crafts as a preview for them to already know what to do during the camp.

Uncle Sonny thinks we need to go back to 2 weeks of camp time and not just 1.

Kim felt the morning time to do dancing so that they can learn.

The 10-15 minute have music on outside so the kids when they first arrive.

The camp to go through Saturday for the whole tribe and all families like kind of a mini pow wow. ( to have celebrate time on that Saturday.)

(Mary and Cindy) will be here next year for camp.

Fall Gathering:

There is one addition to the gathering and would be Charlie Ridgeway to teach about fire prevention. And that would be at 2-3pm.

The Gathering Theme for this year can be more focused on the children; about respect and teaching them to respect those who respect them.

Lia thinks that we should have a time for the kids to listen to stories from our elders.

Kim thought to break into groups with different elders speaking about different stories lines that they could share. 

Story telling will be a main topic.

We ask people to share about families members, and about the tribe and any stories that they feel they’d like to share. 

We need to be able to record the story telling too so that way we can remember.

Women’s circle is tentatively between 12-1pm. 

5-630 then meeting.

Fishing done in the morning most likely. 

3 new shawls…for the naming of our aunts.

We still have snacks from camp that can go to the kids for camp. And we have sodas.

Saturday meal would be hamburgers and hotdogs..dont bring French fries.  Charlene will go over the supply list with what we may still need.

During camp Brett and Buzz were talking the Poconos which has a museum..

The Poconos Indian Museum and Brett may have contacted them and that we could do Nov 8th, 10-12 miles from Bushkel Falls, have lunch and after the museum take all of it to council to see about going.

The coach bus would be needed. Aunt Eddy said it should be open for other, like adults to be there too who have never been there. Adults can pay while the kids can go for free. Kids should have a chaperone.

Vacation bible school for fortville  church, there was place that the went to do. They had a Lenape garden they saw there and the finger squash was grown. Tyler Arboretum. A trip for us to go to. 

They now have our phone number and it can get figured out door us to go there.